Friday, July 6, 2012

Europe Again & Again – Part II, Too Much of Nothing New: What to Expect


When I say “nothing new” I mean anything that isn’t a total restructuring of the Euro.  This should be approached with either new rules/institutions (e.g. Eurobonds, EU backstop, etc.) or with a change in members (e.g. weaker members leave, Euro disbands, etc.).   Status quo will not do - something new, something systematic is required if some semblance of the Eurozone is to survive.

What does not constitute something new is what I outlined in my last post – Spanish bank bailout, and  a Greek coalition to stay in the Euro.  These are stop gap measures that will only kick the can down the road.  The market apparently agrees.

So if Europe continues to kick the can down the road what should we expect?  More of the same from late last summer to now:
How long with this continue? I am not quite sure, but I would think the above trends will probably hold until there is a resolution one way or another.   That isn’t to say there won’t be movements against the trends whenever some news comes out, just that over the course of “kicking the can down the road” they will persist. 

The ball is in Germany’s court.

Update:  I wrote this a few weeks ago, but since then there has been a relatively big (well bigger) development – basically banks will now be able to borrow directly from the ECB, not their own Central Bank.

I will comment more on this in my last post of this 3 part series.