Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Looking for Trades?


My thought on trading, a short(er)-term speculation with some sort of catalyst and strategic entry and exit points, is to always do your own research and then look for outside opinions to validate or strike down your trade thesis (typically strike down to avoid confirmation bias).  While short-term speculative trading is not our bailiwick, several of our clients have personal accounts where they like to do so and we will opine where we can.

What brought this to mind was that the Ira Sohn Conference took place last week. It brings together some great investors to discuss their various ideas in a shot-gun format. What better way to validate or strike down your trade thesis than to compare it to what some of the best traders are doing? 

I don’t know how you get into this party, I am guessing it’s highly exclusive and/or expensive.  Luckily, my research turns up several commentaries: 
The topics covered were broad: macro trends, stocks, economic policies, subsequent central bank bashing, and more.  I need to say I am not suggesting anyone go out and trade any of the ideas from this conference because person XYZ said it was a good idea and past results have been mixed.  As I said earlier, do your own research.  Still the links can provide a good starting point to begin engaging in said research or to vet currently existing research.

In the end I think it’s important when trading -- and I always try to mention this to clients --  to ask yourself, “if I am buying why is someone else selling or vice versa?”.  Research and perspective are the keys making a trading decision.


Past performance is no guarantee of future results. An investment concentrated in sectors and industries may involve greater risk and volatility than a more diversified investment.  The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author(s) noted and may or may not represent the views of Capital Analysts, Inc. or Lincoln Investment