Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Notes on Commentary


I realize at times some of what I write is difficult to comprehend, and I do my best to try and simplify things.  While that is a concern, what worries is reader misinterpretation, and feel it may minimize the chance of that happening, by explaining how I write the 10 or so paragraphs a week:
  1. From amongst the enormous amount of reading I do every week, I try to find some things of interest in the wealth management arena, typically investment related.
  2. Try to simplify those concepts into an easy read, and shine a light on them, which provides a perspective, which may be of interest to the reader.
  3. Have a colleague review what I write so I don’t sound like the follow when trying to simply things:  
    • .
  4. Give it a third look to make sure the points are clear and concise.
  5. Submit to our Compliance Department according to SEC regulation, so I don’t get into trouble.
  6. Post online, usually the week after I write it, but at times a few weeks after I write the original.

Remember, nothing I write is static.  For instance, this post on utilities being overvalued was written in early May, but since then Utilities are down roughly 5%.  They are still overvalued relative to their historical norm, but less so than previously. 

The dynamic nature of markets and my opinions on those markets is important to consider when reading these blogs, especially in regard to the equity market, where I am currently bullish but have a more bearish intermediate term view. 

Circumstances change so will my views will be fluid.  Further, momentum, which I believe is a good risk control indicator, can change quickly.  My views on shorter term outlooks one week could begin to diminish a few weeks later.  In other words, these blogs are time sensitive, as is most commentary, and this must be considered when reading not just my opinions, but those of others. 

The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author(s) noted and may or may not represent the views of Capital Analysts, Inc. or Lincoln Investment.  The material presented is provided for informational purposes only. Nothing contained herein should be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell any securities. As with all investments, past performance is no guarantee of future results. No person or system can predict the market. All investments are subject to risk, including the risk of principal loss.