Monday, January 23, 2012

Thoughts on 2012 Consensus

My last post dug into what the “experts” are predicting for this year.  Here are my thoughts on that consensus: 
  • I tend to think if we avoid those “tail risks” we could have a very good year on the S&P, higher than consensus. 
  • At the same time I think the chances of one of those “tail risks” popping up is probably higher than the bulls believe. 
  • This makes the market hard to handicap.
  • So my conclusion reflects this discrepancy, that by year end we will end up in the poles – either up nicely or down poorly. 
  • I really think the US economy could surprise here if it doesn't get derailed, despite the secular deleveraging trend. 
  • Here are some general strategies on how to play divergent conclusion:
  • Avoid the riskiest assets
  • Regardless of asset class, move up the quality chain
  • Focus on investments that benefit from monetary/fiscal policy
  • Think about investments that are less economically cyclical
  • Avoid illiquid investments
Please keep in mind that I am just sharing some general strategies on how to navigate the current environment.  If you implement the above successfully, you can hopefully still get some upside while limiting your downside.